Tuesday 12 July 2016

Next Blog 9 July

It's a bit like an interlude in a Shakespeare Tragedy - after the serious bit comes a comic interlude (but I'm not suggesting my walk is tragic!)

Yesterday, walking from Northallerton to Catterick I encountered two sets of uniformed personnel as well as road  and footpath closures galore. (more of these, today, on Sunday).

I've been very pleased to find some good lunch quiet times and although this (Sat) was the first day I had set off in the rain (a minor miracle for the wettest June in record!), I found a good farmer's barn to shelter from another outburst; I appeared to be well on my way. A police car stopped as I was about to leave and out stepped PC Plod - straight out of Martin Clunes - and asked me what I was doing. I don't think I looked like a vicar on Sabbatical so he asked to see id etc. I was trying not to laugh - there was nothing portable in the barn that I could carry and my rucksack was bulging.

He said we've had some incidents recently - presumably theft. I suppose I could have been an unlikely arsonist with the kit in my bag?!

Anyway, he eventually went on having passed me through the computer and after I'd promised to leave the barn as I'd found it (which of course I would have anyway). Then I left after recovering my hat - which I was far more worried about than the Police Officer.

I felt sure that while I was being interviewed a serious burglary was going on down the road, but that's just pure fantasy.

As I continued walking, I puzzled out how I felt and as I came close to Catterick village I texted my next host, Lindsay, to say I was on target (so I thought) to arrive on time. I wish. I'd not allowed for the building of a new A1 as well as the river Swale (if only I'd stayed on the north side of the river ...)
I found a closed road, with no footpath through, and the beginning of countless roadworks.

(I'd already spent ages detouring around two farms - deliberately going backwards some of the time in order to get to the roadworks).

I found some more tarmac - followed it - alongside or near to the roadworks and found myself in the middle of an army exercise! I went up to what appeared to be a 17-year old cadet/raw recruit with a semi-automatic weapon (I assume) slung around his neck. I asked him if I could get through and he said no - so how could I get out? He pointed to completely the wrong direction and said that was the only way to come in by car. He also said that he didn't live around here - came from somewhere like Southampton. Not much help then.

I detoured and carried on, saw more army personnel pass by in a truck and further on an army vehicle check point with a barrier. I decided I'd had enough and diverted through a few trees to the side of the A1 - yet another truck went by and waved at me - clearly approving of my decision!

Thank goodness it wasn't the A1(M), but I got a few hoots from motorists as I walked alongside it for < 800 yds. I guess I was a distraction, but I'd run out of options - it was safe enough.
Fortunately this time PC Plod wasn't around.

I eventually veered off to the right of the A1  - in front of the same army barracks - but this time safely on public roads. By now I was 1 1/2 hours late and very tired.

So what did I learn - other than to be right not to trust uniforms and to beware of roadworks (more tomorrow)?
I don't know, but I did reflect on how it might have been if I'd had a darker skin colour.

I also amused myself by thinking that somewhere out there was a news report about a dodgy character carrying a large yellow rucksack - claiming to be a vicar  - Clearly up to no good.

Roll on tomorrow and the day after - please let me leave roadworks behind.

Bill the exhausted pilgrim

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Melsonby, Bill - I'm glad the local constabulary checked you over before we met up!
    Tried to insert your image here, but have not mastered the blogging. Just setting off for a walk to Aldbrough St John in the sunshine with you: 9am 12th July. All good wishes for a safe trip to Lindisfarne - God Bless.
    Ian and Lesley Black

    ReplyDelete
  2. The police probably thought you were a tramp Bill!! What ID did you have then?? Do you have an 'I'm a vicar' card? Ha ha, how funny!! X

    ReplyDelete